Sonographer Professional Liability Insurance
As a Sonography professional, you help improve the quality of life for Canadians but in doing so, you expose yourself to various risks. Professional Liability Insurance (PLI), also known as malpractice insurance, provides protection against malpractice claims arising from real or alleged errors or omissions. PLI protects you against paying the full cost of defending yourself and the risk of losing your own personal assets (house, car, savings, wages etc.).
To protect both Sonographer and patient Provincial Regulatory Colleges/Bodies have made PLI a requirement to practice.
Who needs PLI?
- Direct patient care professionals
- Supporting roles including administration, educators, corporate etc.
- Paid employees or volunteer positions
- Sonographers who work in multiple locations must ensure that they have PLI coverage in all the locations
Caution: Employer/Union PLI may not fully protect you
It is recommended that you purchase your own personal protection insurance that goes beyond the limitations of most employer/union PLI programs. Having your own policy guarantees that a claim made against you will be covered for the following reasons:
- Your insurance is transferable so if you change jobs or employers your coverage will follow you
- Good Samaritan coverage – your employer may not cover you for any advice or volunteering you do outside of your workplace
- Many employer insurances have a shared limit of liability for all employees. This limit may not be enough to cover you and your personal assets (car, house, bank account) could be at risk to cover the difference.
- Your employer’s insurance may have a large deductible - in some cases, this could be greater than your total defense costs
- Most employer policies will only cover the settlement for damages for malpractice. They may not cover legal defense before a regulatory disciplinary committee or criminal defense costs
Ask your employer or union for information related to their PLI coverage to confirm that the insurance meets Regulatory College by-laws AND adequately protects you and your assets.
Be safe. Ensure you have enough coverage
MedicalImagingEd PLI has you covered
|Professional Liability (Errors & Omissions/Malpractice)||$2,000,000 or $5,000,000 per claim/per policy term|
|Extended Reporting Period||7 years|
|Regulatory Disciplinary Coverage for Legal Representation||$50,000 per claim/
$100,000 per policy term
|Criminal Defence Reimbursement||Legal expense of $50,000 per claim/$100,000 per policy term when proven innocent as defined by the policy|
|Expenses to assist in investigation or defence||If the insurance company requests you to assist in the investigation or defence of a claim they will pay all reasonable expenses incurred including loss of earnings up to the policy limit.|
|Abuse Coverage||defense costs reimbursement - $1,000,000.per claim/per policy term as more clearly defined in the policy|
|Cyber Security and Privacy||$25,000 per claim/per policy term|
|Across Canada Coverage||
24/7 in all employment and volunteer circumstances anywhere in Canada
Choose the right level of PLI for you. Click here